Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fashion Forward? A FuddyDuddy Responds

I watched last night's address to congress with great anticipation.

It is no secret that it took me a while to warm up to Obama (I am a Hillary lover from way back in my High School days) but there is no question that he can command a crowd. Last night's eloquent pleas with congress to do what needs to be done to help America thrive hit exactly the right note. Michell Obama's outfit, however, didn't.

It could be that, now that I'm in my thirties, I have become a FuddyDuddy, or that I am my Mother's son, but I was shocked, SHOCKED, to see the First Lady appear in a sleeveless dress. In CONGRESS. It was undeniably lovely, and she has AMAZING arms, but it just seemed so inappropriate. This is where the business of government takes place, it is not the place for a cocktail dress (even a frock that one has worn on the cover of Vogue - though in a different shade).

It seems that I am the only one who seems to think so. In my search for an image to post here as an example I came up with nada, so I guess it's just me. It looks like the ladies and gentlemen of congress no longer need to wear their smart pantsuits and jackets - change has come to America.

1 comment:

Olivia said...

You know, I thought it was kind of out of place too now that I think about it! But I love her too much to really care. Great post. xoxoxo