Friday, February 13, 2009

Billy Bragg gives Ragamus Prime a Smackdown!

Billy Bragg has always resonated in my adult life. Much like my other touchstone artist, Ani Difranco, he seems to have songs that relate to every emotional predicament I face.

A friend of mine used to say, "Ani knows" with a very meaningful look, the expression of her deeply felt belief that no matter what you were experiencing in your personal life, Ani has written a song about it. Et tu Billy?

It's no secret that I work in advertising, and that I have a very specific (and sometimes surprising) love for it. Well today, for the first time, I find myself cut to the quick by Billy. I have placed the lyrics to a certain song below. Fear not, though I am conflicted and crying on the inside, on the outside I am ducking out of work two hours early to go shopping.

A very fitting response - Just ask Ani, she'll tell you all about it.

Some Days I See The Point

Never saw a meaningful TV advert,
I don't think shopping
Is a metaphor for life.

Don't waste my time at the gym
In the morning,
Try to keep trim by living my life.

Wanna feel the wind blowing in my hair,
Wanna hear the waves crashing on the beach,
I'm not seeking easy answers or inner peace,
I'm just looking for some release.

I want to help to make the world better,
But I can't do it all on my own.
Try to keep the lead
On my disappointment,
Cause cynacism's such a cop out,
I know.

Watch the shadows of clouds
Moving on the hill,
Open my eyes and drink my fill,
On those days that I feel dejected
I come up here for a bit of perspective.

Gonna follow the path
That climbs up through the trees,
Walk along the cliff top
And gaze out to sea,
I feel free when I come up here and
If it's clear,
Some days I see the point.

No comments: