Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thank You for Being a Friend

Like many 'mos, the Golden Girls played a large part in my formative years. There was something so inspiring about four older women - who by all accounts were no longer relevant in society (and certainly not in Hollywood) - who were ballsy, brash and completely comfortable in their own skin.

The boys and I used to play Golden Girl trivia during the long drive to and from Toronto. My favorite question, "What was Dorothy's nickname in high school?" (If you know the answer, enter it in the comment section below). While Dorothy was always my favorite character, it was her interactions with her mother, Sofia, (played by the incomparable Estelle Getty) that left me laughing until tears rolled down my cheeks.



Miss Getty passed away this morning at her home in California. She had been suffering from dementia for the past few years which made it impossible to join her cast mates in appearances like this year's TV Land awards. I am just so grateful that she has left behind a legacy of laughter. After all, what is more divine?

No comments: