Saturday, May 17, 2008

Someday, my Prince will come

Joey B and I had a wonderful "date night" last night, consisting of a delicious meal followed by a short walk to the Davis Theater to see "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian." I saw the first installment with my friend Dave a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it, but wasn't bowled over. The advance reviews for Prince Caspian, however, convinced me to check it out on opening night. I am so glad I did.


First off, those who have read the series know that Prince Caspian is the least enjoyable of the series (at least in my humble opinion). There really isn't much that happens and what action there is isn't very descriptive. The film has mined the novel and produced absolute gold. They have not only expanded a 2 page confrontation in the book into an epic battle which serves as the climax of the film, they have managed to stay completely true to the spirit and intention of the original story.

The Screenwriter and Director did take some liberties, creating a siege on the castle of Caspian's usurper Uncle that manages to enrich the drama without falling into the LOTR trap where a battle is visually stunning but does nothing to advance the plot. Without giving away too much, the siege ends in a surprisingly moving fashion that left both Joey B and myself touched.

The ending was very satisfying and I can't remember the last time I left a film already wanting to see it again. As we walked home Joey B and I discussed the deliciousness of Prince Caspian and I pointed out that his teeth are slightly crooked, but in an incredibly sexy way. I believe I actually said, "His teeth are a little crooked, but in a really sexy way. He has SEXY teeth." This may have been my very first Seinfeld moment.

Run, don't walk, kids. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: