Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Sky is Grey...

I have an ongoing love affair with the 1970s documentary "Grey Gardens." I saw it first during a film class during college and, for days afterwards, I thought constantly about these two sad, lonely women who were trapped together in their dilapidated mansion on Long Island. I couldn't get them out of my mind. At the time the movie depressed me horribly, but in time I came to appreciate them as as the quirky, but entirely lovable, women they were.

I am thrilled to report that a biopic (also called Grey Gardens) is coming out soon starring Drew Barrymore as Little Edie. My excitement comes, not only from the subject matter, but also from the fact that one of my film school mentors, Ms Patricia Rozema, co-wrote the script.

For those of you not familiar with Rozema's work, I encourage you to see "I've Heard the Mermaids Singing" and "When Night is Falling" (my personal favorites)... I didn't see Kitt Kittredge, so I can't really recommend it.

She is an incredibly talented director and writer and I am jazzed that she is involved in this project. Take a look at the trailer and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

I'm really excited about this. But no matter what, it can't compare to the documentary. One of my favorite quotes in the world:
"No, no, this is the revolutionary costume! I never wear this in East Hampton!"
I'm not sure how I feel about Drew Barrymore trying to fill those shoes...

Rage-A-Mus Prime said...

I kind of felt the same way, but she did such an amazing job in the trailer, so I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt.