Monday, April 7, 2008

Ross Rage

I am a huge fan of Ross "The Intern" Mathews. While my major blogging inspirations were Rosie and the Go Fug Yourself girls, I love the Ross Blog and check it often throughout the day until I see an update. Today's update had me hopping mad.

The title was "People are mad at me" and I have to say the whole post left a REALLy bad taste in my mouth - check it out for yourselves.


Ok, so here's what I think. Blogs are a really amazing things, but as they grow it becomes more and more difficult to "police" a comment section. What bothers me more than that is this sense of entitlement that these readers have. This man does not work for you! I think we may be seeing the turning point that happens with any fan base - where some of the original readers aka "Blog Buddies" actually become harsh critics. It's a well documented phenomenon.

Secondly, the saying "on the internet, no one knows you're a dog" is also interchangeable with "on the internet, no one knows you're bitter." The anonymity of the internet leads people to be rude and awful in a way that few would be able to do in person (that's why we need right-wing pundits, who are awful fearlessly).

I have actually been trying to arrange an interview with Ross for TOC for months now (via himself and his publicists) - we have been slowed up because we need to find a "Chicago angle" - so I have firsthand knowledge and let me tell you, he is a really, GENUINELY, nice guy.

The bottom line is that I don't believe that Ross had anything to apologize for - I understand that people don't want to read comments that they deem offensive, but to issue such a harsh ultimatum... well, lets just say that with fans like that, who needs enemies.

No comments: