Monday, June 8, 2009

Ruins are All The Rage


Ianovich, Joey B and I spent the weekend making plans to go see "My Life in Ruins" and then, instead, taking long naps and/or ordering food instead. Still, with much perseverance on the part of Joey B and Ian, we managed to make it to the Webster 11 last night to catch the return of Nia Vardalos to the big screen, after a 5 year absence.

My friends, it was worth the wait.

I am not going to pretend that this is a terrific movie - it's not - but it is a charming film which, in some circles, is even better. There were some jokes lifted directly from "how to write for sitcoms 101" and the characters are painted with a very, very broad brush but on the whole I found the experience very enjoyable. Ms Vardalos takes the routine material and makes baclava - and by that I mean Greek gold! Kudos as well to Richard Dreyfuss who manages to strike a very difficult balance between wise cracking and simply wise.

I wish the cinematography could have done more with the amazing greek landscape, but on the whole, nothing detracted enough from the story to lead me to not recommend this film to everyone. I walked out of the movie with a smile on my face, and I would see it again,.Very high praise indeed.

Hopah!

No comments: