Sunday, May 17, 2009

Donna Martin Graduates

I started this post early this morning, while sitting in the pavilion at UIC, waiting for Joey B's Commencement to begin. Unfortunately, though I could enter the title and tags, I could neither enter copy into the body of the blog, nor could I upload photos from my blackberry. Not sure is it's a blackberry, or Blogger issue. I plan on complaining either way.

The ceremony was like nothing else I've ever witnessed. The highlight, besides seeing Joey B crossing the stage to receive his degree, was the pre-recorded address from the ailing Ray Bradbury, who was too ill to attend in person. It was a very heart-warming address on the merits of a higher education from a man who was too poor in his youth to pursue one. Throughout the majority of his speech a cat perched on his shoulders, which was absolute perfection.

I, being allergic to long, boring ceremonies, was surprised at how moved I was. I could not stop misting up. I am so proud of Joey B and all the hard work he has put into his academic career. I am excited to see what is next.

The class Valedictorian leaned on the words of the animated duo, Pinly & The Brain, as she wrapped up her speech by encouraging her peers to spend tonight, and every night doing one important thing, "Trying to take over the world."

No comments: