Monday, December 22, 2008

Metropolitan Diary


As I have mentioned before, I am in LOVE with the Metropolitan Diary column in the New York Times. It is one of the things I like most about Mondays - along with new episodes of Gossip Girl and The Hills.

Last week was a tough one for me, following the announcement of Obama's choice of Rick Warren to participate in the inauguration. The entry below, from today's Met Diary, helped me to recapture some of the hope I had lost. The power to make things happen lies with the people. It's an important lesson - especially at this time of year.

Dear Diary:

Date: Wednesday after Election Day.

Time: Evening rush.

Place: 33rd Street Station

Cast: Two senior citizens and a crowd of passengers on the No. 6 Lexington Avenue local.

My friend and I were trying to head uptown on the subway. The platform was so crowded that we could not board the first train to enter the station. We waited for another train, and I managed to wiggle my way in.

My friend was still on the platform, so I shouted, “Please move into the center of the car!”

A passenger replied, “We can’t; it’s crowded.”

Then another passenger said, “Yes we can!”

Suddenly the car was filled with shouts, “Yes we can!”

Everyone moved farther in and my friend was able to join me on the train.

Sue Falk

No comments: