Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Why I Work Hard and Play Harder

Recently, my team and I spent our lunch hour dyeing Easter eggs - Easter EGGtravaganza 2013.  It was a great chance for all of us to gather, hang out, and share each other's company.  The event occurred in our conference room - Downton Digital Abbey.
Some of the Digital Producers, getting eggy with it

If you walk through my department (digital production) you will see that everyone has a "Downton" title.  You will also see RuPaul valentines, print outs of New Yorker cartoons and someecards.  You will also see Glamor Shots from the 80s, tangerines decorated to look like pumpkins and photoshopped movie posters.  I also frequently host a "Thirsty Thursday," with cocktails and snacks, in my office.  What does this have to do with the work I do?

Everything.

There is a lot of talk about work/life balance, but I don't think that means arriving at work by 9am and leaving by 5pm.  I believe it is about having fun at work and loving what you do.

I won't pretend that I always love my job 100% of the time, but I always love interacting with my colleagues, hearing about what's going on in their lives and discussing things that have nothing to do with why we are all in this building.

Having fun makes it easier to deal with the daily ups and downs of a production department, and makes it easier to stomach the occasional very late nights and weekend work.  They are part of the reality of working in a (big A) Agency, but they don't have to be miserable experiences.

For me, the secret to work/life balance is ensuring that we balance the work with lots of fun.  And the occasional cocktail.

Cheers.


No comments: